Monday 4 April 2011

Sandakan 2011 - #04 One Last Quick Look Around Bilit

We finally had our breakfast at 10am in the morning. Most of the other guests who had arrived the previous day were starting to check-out, so we were the only ones left at the restaurant. The skies threatened to drizzle. Despite that, I persevered and went off with my umbrella and equipment once more to have a last look around Bilit Rainforest Lodge as I didn't really have a chance to do any proper birding there.
I have this habit of photographing almost everything I eat outside of home.
The cherry tree behind the restaurant seemed active. The same male Orange-bellied Flowerpecker Dicaeum trigonostigma dayakanum was there, busy gorging itself on the fruits, even the green ones. It would perch on a branch opposite a fruit it was interested in, then peck bit by bit of the fruit off. I like to watch how its beak moves when it's processing each bite of the fruit. It's so rapid and well-controlled that it's fascinating!
"I spy with my little eye..."
Chomp!
An Ashy Tailorbird Orthotomus ruficeps borneoensis was calling loudly and hopping around nearby but it was too fast for me. A small flock of Eurasian Tree-Sparrows Passer montanus malaccensis were frolicking about too. Since there wasn't anything else to photograph, and also because it was in a natural setting, I had fun snapping away.
Though almost always overlooked for being so common, this one was just too pretty.

On the way back to our chalet, a male Crimson Sunbird Aethopyga siparaja siparaja visited the flowering trees briefly but posed no opportunities for me. Not far off the ground, I was a little surprised to see a Brown Shrike Lanius cristatus lucionensis perched quietly. It is rather late in going home, as with the Egrets. But considering the recent catastrophes up north, I can see why it's still around!
The dragonfly in the centre of the photo did not seem to worry for its life being so close to the Shrike!
As I was engrossed with the Shrike, I happened to see a male Brown-throated Sunbird Anthreptes malacensis borneensis flying up to a tree at my eye level. I took a few hurried shots of it and dashed back to grab the digiscoping gear. My mum had already kept the camera so I dug it out and assembled it as fast as I could, knowing that Sunbirds do not stay for long! My dad helped carry the fieldscope to where I left my camera and I then took over. Thankfully the bird was still there, giving itself a good preen. I didn't quite like the lighting though, as the bird - being smart - chose a shady perch while the background was bright. But anyhow I stayed there for as long as the bird remained.
It's not often that a Sunbird can be digiscoped.
Sadly, it was getting late and I had to hurry back to pack. I was so torn to pack my gear for fear that something else might show up, which isn't uncommon. So I rushed to pack everything else and left my camera for last. Thank goodness for this as a male Yellow-rumped Flowerpecker Prionochilus xanthopygius came to say goodbye right in front of our chalet. It looks so much like the Crimson-breasted Flowerpecker Prionochilus percussus, but as the name implies, this had a bright yellow rump with only a faint reddish spot on its breast.
Its feathers look rather worn, or else a distinct white pectoral tuft should be visible too.
It was really time to go by then. A light drizzle seemed to be hurrying us off to our next destination. The boat ride across the river was again a wet and spray-ful one. So, goodbye Bilit! It was a short but sweet experience indeed. I still want to explore more of this place as I'm sure there are surprises lurking around the corner. I'll definitely be back one day for the Bornean Ground-Cuckoo Carpococcyx radiatus. I hope you're ready.

2 comments:

  1. I like the Yellow-rumped Flowerpecker! I saw that one in Kinabalu. Didn't know that it also occurs in lowlands. The Bilit Rainforest Lodge looks a really nice place to stay. I can't remember the name of the place we stayed in last time. It was a small lodge deep (I mean, really deep) in the forest and there were just a few European guests who stayed with us. The good thing about this place was that we could see so many great wildlife just by our window. I still remember a European lady (couldn't remember which language she was talking) screaming and calling everyone with excitement to see the male Urangutan which was sitting on a tree just behind the house. One of her friend, a guy, just hurried out of the bathroom with his towel wrapped around his waist. It was a funny moment of wildlife watch. Oh and there were Short-toed Coucals around the lodge as well. I was the only one who tried so hard to see their hind claws. As they were all so shy, no one was willing to follow them, but after I finally caught one sitting quite openly on a branch by a telescope showing its short hind claws, everyone just seemed to be interested in it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. @Ayuwat:
    Thank you! I hope I didn't pass off any Flowerpeckers I've seen at Kinabalu earlier as the Crimson-breasted. It was only during this trip that I learnt such a distinct species exists. Hahaha yes foreigners often get really excited over any primates, even over the notorious Pig-tailed Macaques. Good for you that you managed to find the Coucal! I didn't see any at all, maybe partly due to the wet weather. Better luck next time, perhaps. =)

    ReplyDelete

Leave a feather